The winters are COLD and the summers are HOT here in Bend. Keeping your home at a comfortable temperature year round can be an extremely costly endeavor if your home is inefficient. Below are 5 valuable tips for lowering those energy costs substantially and having a much more energy efficient home.
Finding where your homes energy weaknesses can save you a lot in the long run.
5 ways to reduce your energy bill here in Bend
1. Light bulbs, LED lights are dramatically more efficient than conventional bulbs. They use 1/6th of the energy of conventional bulbs and last up to 50 times longer. They are more expensive than conventional bulbs but upgrading will pay off substantially in the long run. Imagine a light bulb that has a life span of 50,000 hours and can produce a huge amount of light while using a minuscule amount of energy.
2. Change that A/C filter early and often. A commonly overlooked but essential part of your heating and cooling system. Having a dirty or clogged filter is not only very hard for your A/C unit but it also reduces it effectiveness.
3. Attic Fan. Installing an attic fan will take that super heated air out of your home and keep your place much cooler and much easier to keep cool. The hot Bend sun bakes your roof all day and that heat gets trapped in your attic putting unnecessary strain on your A/C system.
4. Plant some shady trees. Planting some shade trees in front of your windows will block that harsh high desert sun from beaming in your windows creating a huge temperature increase. A few well placed trees can make a huge difference, and not to mention doing something good for mother earth.
5. Weatherstripping. Having old beat up weatherstripping is sure fire way to lower your homes energy efficiency. Cold drafts love blowing in under doors in the winter, and the hot Bend summer winds blow right in as well.
These are just a few of the easier and cheaper ways to reduce your homes energy costs here in Bend, but of course there are many more little things your can do to make a big difference. If you are interested in finding your homes energy weak links, drop me a line and I can meet you at your home and go over some cost effective solutions to help you lower your energy costs and shrink that carbon footprint.
Licensed Bonded Insured CCB# 208915